Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Joyful Noise By Paul Fleischman

Poems for multiple voices remind me of dark coffee house scenes in movies where artsy folks are resighting very insightful deep poems in the smokey haze. I think that makes me seem very old. I actually struggle to teach poetry because I am not a very poetic person. I enjoy reading poetry but can not create any thing of value. All of that personal information was to get to the point that I need good examples of poetry to support the teaching process.
I really enjoyed Joyful Noise. Insects are a great way to engage children The language used is beautiful as well as enriching. I learned more about insects while reading this book than I did in elementary school. Who knew Whirligig Beetles actually turn around and around. The vocabulary was so challenging and intriguing. I loved the words serpentine, tortuous, twisty, and turny. The illustrations are fabulous. I love that they are in black and white. It gives cute fun poems a touch of maturity.
The Cicadas was one of my favorite selections. The featured critters with their great big eyes won my heart. They hum and sing and buzz. How great is that?
This book is a wonderful opportunity for peoples of all ages to have fun with poetry.

3 comments:

P.A. Collet said...

I beg to differ! You wrote that you "cannot create anything of value". Oh, yes, you can! You wrote, "The featured critters with their great big eyes won my heart. They hum and sing and buzz." What a great sentiment and clearly 'of value'!

I enjoyed reading your comments about the poetry.

JulieAnne said...

I like your coffee house image.
Don't you think you could use this in middle school?

hjudson said...

I also had great fun reading Fleischman's collection of poems. I enjoyed how you described your feelings of imagining yourself in a smokey, hazy, coffeehouse. That made me want to read those poems again, to see if I could be transported to that coffeehouse. (minus the smokey atmosphere =)) Not being an insect lover, I was surprised how the insects "won my heart" as well! Fleischman weaved in very interesting facts about insects in a creative, poetic way and these poems would surely capture students' interests.