Thursday, April 12, 2007

Bull Run by Paul Fleischman

It took me a really long time to read this book. I like some historical books but this one did not start off great for me. As I got further along I began to really take an interest in the character Dietrich Herz. I really thought he had died when everything went black for him. Other characters were far less interesting to me.
Gideon Adams intrigued me. I thought it must be very difficult for him to conceal his identity to his comrads. I wonder how the students and their parents will handle the fact that he signs a letter "Your Wood Headed Jackass"?
I liked how the author separated the characters into North vs South on the last page of the book.
This is a wonderful book readers theater and I would bet the students would absolute love the gore and violence if they had a general idea about the battle of Bull Run prior to reading it. This would be a great pick for boys.

3 comments:

JulieAnne said...

I agree-good pick for boys. As a person with an elementary background, would you recommend this more for middle school or elementary?

Carolyn said...

I strggled to get "into" this book. The connection among characters seemed almost nonexistent, and it was difficult to keep up with all the different characters' problems. I do appreciate getting a real-life view from different angles as characters deal with the horrors of the Civil War.

windy said...

Julie
I would use it for upper elementary and middle.