Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Van Gogh Cafe By Cynthia Rylant

This book surprised me. It was not a down home classic like the other books I recently read by Cynthia Rylant. I respect her writing far more now that I have seen the vast differences on her writing style. I was beginning to think that all she wrote about was the country and sad things.
The Van Gogh Cafe reminded me of a movie I once watched called The Majestic. Jim Carey was the star, of course. The Majestic was a theater that was believed to make good things happen until the owner's son did not return from war and the Majestic fell into disrepair. Many years pass and a young man comes to town and everyone believes he is the lost son. They believe it though they know it is not true. Come to find out he is a famous actor who was in an accident and has amnesia. Of course the Majestic opens back up and good things happen again. The actor even decides he will be the man they all thought he was though they knew he wasn't. Is that confusing enough?
The Van Gogh Cafe is very similar. The magic is in the cafe and wonderful things happen there. Wishes come true. People find what they are looking for. One night an actor shows up looking for a friend. My favorite line from the book was wishes come true if you believe they will. I think both stories I am speaking of are trying to tell us that we must believe in something and expect that it will happen.
Overall, I liked this book far better than any other Cynthia Rylant books. I am not sure at what age this would have made sense to me. The power of believing in something is a bit abstract for most students in the age group I have taught. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

P.A. Collet said...

I had not thought to connect "The Majestic" to The Van Gogh Cafe, and I own the movie for goodness sake! You are correct; the two work magic in their settings. Like you, the more material I read of Cynthia Rylant, the more impressed I become.